Even if you have not yet chosen dental implants to replace your loose or missing teeth, it is important that you consider the healing process that will be involved as part of your decision-making process. Our doctors believe in fully educating every patient on the details of their procedure, so we have developed this blog to specifically help you prepare for what you should expect during your recovery after the placement of dental implants.
First, Know What to Expect During Your Dental Implant Surgery
Our doctors understand that you want to get back to your beautiful smile as quickly as possible. Because of this, Dr. Karbakhsch and Dr. Katafuchi may perform the first part of your dental implant procedure during your initial consultation, if possible.
During your procedure, you can expect:
- To receive oral or IV sedation so you can rest through the procedure. We provide blankets and music to help you feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Our doctors to remove any damaged teeth and gum tissue to prepare your dental implant site.
- Immediate placement of your dental implant or implants if our doctors determine you have enough healthy jawbone tissue to receive the implant.
If Dr. Karbakhsch and Dr. Katafuchi determine that you need to have pre-surgeries performed, such as a bone graft or gum graft before the placement of your dental implants, they will work with you to develop a treatment plan and timeline for your specific needs. If you fall into this category, they will provide you with a temporary tooth so that your smile will be complete while you heal from your pre-surgeries.
The Healing Process of Dental Implants
After your dental implants have been placed, our periodontists will release you to return home to begin your healing process. Because most patients receive sedation for their surgery, you will need to be sure you have a trusted family member or friend with you on the day of your procedure. They will need to drive you home and stay with you for a bit to ensure you get settled comfortably.
Once you receive your implants, you will require at least three months of healing time commonly before the next step in the process can occur.
Our doctors utilize advanced techniques and technologies to perform dental implant surgery; therefore, you will experience only minor swelling and bleeding after surgery. Most patients can control any discomfort by using Tylenol or Ibuprofen, but our doctors will provide it accordingly if prescription pain medication is required.
To help you through the healing process after your dental implants have been placed, Dr. Karbakhsch and Dr. Katafuchi recommend you:
- Practice the recommended oral hygiene provided in the aftercare instructions
- Eat only soft foods for several days
- Not eat or drink anything too hot or too cold
- Avoid extreme physical activities for several days
- Follow all of the instructions provided after your surgery
If you have any questions during your healing process, do not hesitate to call our office. A member of our friendly and knowledgeable team will be happy to assist you.
Schedule Your Initial Consultation Today
If you are ready to regain oral function and restore the aesthetics of your smile, call MK Periodontics and Implants today at (253) 752-6336.