Tooth extractions are one of the most common types of procedures performed at MK Periodontics and Implants. Whether you need a tooth extraction to support your oral health or you need to prepare for cosmetic changes through orthodontics, you can expect personal and individualized treatment from our practice. Dr. Karbakhsch and Dr. Katafuchi are board-certified specialists with years of advanced training, and they conduct this surgery frequently.
Reasons You May Need a Tooth Extraction
Our periodontists make every effort to save damaged, loose, or diseased teeth from extraction; however, there are times when tooth extraction is the only solution. Once you are ready, Dr. Karbakhsch and Dr. Katafuchi can perform a tooth extraction:
- To remedy severe tooth decay – Even the best dental care may not save a severely decayed tooth. Tooth extraction can prevent constant discomfort, gum disease, and continuing oral health problems.
- To prepare for implant placement – By extracting unhealthy teeth, our doctors can create a strong foundation for patients who will be receiving dental implants.
- To make room for teeth in the dental arch – Our periodontists work closely with several orthodontists, who commonly refer patients to them for tooth extraction. Treatment can provide more room in the dental arch, improving a patient’s smile and function.
- To expose teeth beneath the gums – Sometimes, a person’s tooth does not erupt properly from beneath the gum line. Dr. Karbakhsch and Dr. Katafuchi reveal these teeth by removing other teeth, so proper tooth position can be achieved.
- As a result of periodontal disease – Periodontal disease causes the gums to resorb and detach from the tooth and tooth roots. If left untreated, the gums and jawbone can become infected, which can eventually lead to the need for extraction.
- To relieve impaction – When teeth are unable to properly erupt from beneath the gum line, whether they are misaligned, or there is simply no room in the mouth to accommodate them, our periodontists can perform a tooth extraction to remove them. This is most often a condition related to wisdom teeth, but it is important to have impacted teeth removed because they can also damage surrounding teeth, tooth roots, and gums.
- Because of trauma or accident – When patients suffer a facial trauma or accident in which the teeth are damaged, our doctors may be required to perform a tooth extraction. While they will do everything they can to save the affected tooth or teeth, this last resort may be required.
Let Our Periodontists Perform Your Tooth Extraction
When you visit MK Periodontics and Implants, our doctors and staff will take the time to listen to your goals, answer any questions, and discuss all the options. Dr. Karbakhsch and Dr. Katafuchi want to give you the resources and information you need so you can make good decisions about your dental care. Our doctors take the time to evaluate your needs carefully in order to effectively guide your treatment.
If you think you need a tooth extraction, or your general dentist has recommended one, do not hesitate to call our office in Tacoma at (253) 752-6336 or Kirkland (425) 820-2414 today.