If you suffer from tension headaches or morning headaches, you are not alone. Of the more than 100 headache types, tension headaches rank among the three most common. And according to the International Classification of Headache Disorders, between 30 and 78 percent of the world’s population experiences tension headaches.
Few people know that dental issues can cause tension headaches. If problems with your teeth or bite are causing your pain, you can get relief. MK Periodontics and Implants offer tension headache treatment to improve your symptoms and quality of life.
What Causes Tension Headaches?
Stress, muscle tension, the environment, or genetics can lead to tension headaches. Sometimes, stress and muscle tension result from unhealthy oral habits or create oral health issues like these:
- TMJ – When the muscle that connects your jaw to your skull is tense, pain can spread from your cheeks to the sides or back of your head.
- Teeth Grinding – Bruxism, or teeth grinding, overworks your jaw muscles. The strain and pressure in your jaw muscles can lead to tension headaches.
- Missing or Misaligned Teeth – An imbalanced bite creates stress in your jaw joint or muscles. Chronic jaw, temple, and neck pain often transfer to your head.
Tension Headache Relief
You can get relief from tension headaches caused by dental issues such as TMJ, teeth grinding, or a misaligned bite. Dr. Karbakhsch or Dr. Katafuchi will explain your options, amongst others may include:
- TMJ Treatment – Your treatment plan may include bite adjustments, dental implants, or a recommendation for orthodontic treatment.
- Nightguards – A custom nightguard to wear while you sleep can reduce the tension in your jaw muscles and decrease or prevent teeth grinding.
- Restorative Dentistry – Dental implants for missing teeth or dental crowns for broken or worn teeth can improve your bite, reduce tension, and minimize headaches.
- BOTOX® – Infections below your cheekbone and near your forehead and temples can relax the tension in your jaw, decrease teeth grinding, and relieve tension headaches.
You’re in Good Hands with MK Periodontics and Implants
Dr. Karbakhsch and Dr. Katafuchi have advanced training to understand how your teeth, muscle, and jaw alignment should harmonize. After a comprehensive exam and x-rays, they will determine if dental issues are causing your tension headaches and discuss your treatment options. You can get long-lasting relief. Call us to schedule an exam.